Wednesday 16 November 2016

The Ring That Speaks To You

My beloved ring. “Ani LedodiVedodi Li” (I am to my beloved as my beloved is to me) is hands down the most popular inscription on Hebrew wedding rings. Why is that so? For starters, let’s take a look at the meaning of the phrase. I am to my beloved as my beloved is to me. Isn’t that what marriage is all about? You have found the person you wish to spend the rest of your life with. Your soulmate. Your beloved. A “my beloved” ring certainly belongs to your beloved, no?
My beloved ring
Next, let’s take a look at the source of this phrase. The phrase “Ani LedodiVedodi Li” is a biblical verse from the book, the Song of Songs (“shirhashirim”, in Hebrew). The Song of Songs was written by King Solomon, who was one of the first kings of the Hebrews. He is famous for being the most brilliant man that ever lived. He is also famous for undertaking the building of the very first holy temple in Jerusalem.
In the Song of Songs, King Solomon writes about the deep, loving relationship that G-d has with His people. The Song of Songs is written as a parable, describing the love between man and his wife. This is what G-d’s relationship with His people is compared to. It is romantic; it is deep rooted; it is full of love and admiration; and it is directly compared to a loving relationship between man and his wife. Wouldn’t you say that “Ani LedodVedodi Li” is none other than the perfect, absolute perfect, inscription on your Hebrew wedding ring??
But it doesn’t end here. There are hundreds of verses in the Song of Songs, dozens of which have the concept you’d be looking for in Hebrew rings my beloved. Take “Zedodiv’zere’i” for example. The meaning of this verse is “this is my beloved and this is my friend”. It is very similar to “Ani LedodiVedodi Li”, again with the” my beloved” ring concept. This, too, is describing the feelings between G-d and the Hebrews. If you like the my beloved ring idea, but don’t want to be exactly like everyone else, the phrase “zedodiv’zere’I” might just be the perfect inscription for you. It has the same source, written by King Solomon in the Song of Songs, and has similar meaning, but if you need that diversity, this phrase is for you.
There are dozens, if not hundreds, of other options for you if you are looking for a Hebrew wedding ring with that kind of message. Some have slightly different translations, but have that same romantic piece to it. For example, “matzati et sh’ahavanafshi” (I have found that which my soul loves). This too is a biblical verse, and it may speak to you more than the others. If that is the case, certainly go for it!
Don’t forget to know all of your options when it comes to choosing an inscription for your Hebrew wedding ring. You are sure to find one that speaks to you. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment